Consumer Credit Counseling
Many credit counseling organizations are nonprofit and work with you to solve your financial problems. Beware that just because an organization says it is "nonprofit" does not guarantee that its services are free or affordable, or that its services are legitimate. A reputable credit counseling agency should send you free information about itself and its services without requiring you to provide any details about your situation. If an organization does not do that, then consider it a red flag and go elsewhere for help. Below are links and contact information to consumer credit counseling and financial education program resources.
- Routing Numbers: The American Banking Association (ABA) has launched a new online tool allowing customers to look up bank routing numbers. Routing numbers were created to ensure accuracy by assigning a unique nine-digit identifier to a financial institution and can be used for check processing, electronic funds transfer and online banking. Check for routing numbers here: routingnumber.aba.com
- FDIC: To learn more about smart ways to manage your money, you can complete the FDIC Money Smart financial education program online through www.fdic.gov/moneysmart. Read the FDIC's free publications, become a better informed consumer and submit comments through http://www.fdic.gov/consumers/consumer/
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD): Want advice on buying a home, renting, default, foreclosure avoidance, credit issues or reverse mortgages? HUD sponsors housing counseling agencies throughout the country to provide free or low cost advice. To locate a Housing Counseling Agency in your area, call HUD's interactive voice system at (800)569-4287 or search online at http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/hcc/hcs.cfm.
- Foreclosure Avoidance Counselor: To locate a Foreclosure Avoidance Counselor in your area, call HUD's interactive voice system at (800)569-4287 or search online at http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/hcc/fc/.
- Reverse Mortgage Counselor: To locate a Reverse Mortgage Counselor in your area, call HUD's interactive voice system at (800)569-4287 or search online at https://entp.hud.gov/idapp/html/hecm_agency_look.cfm.
- National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC): To locate a NFCC Member Agency in your area, call 800-388-2227 or visit http://www.nfcc.org/FirstStep/firststep_03.cfm.
- U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ): To locate a nonprofit budget and credit counseling agency approved to provide counseling that individuals must take before they are eligible to file for bankruptcy protection, 11U.S.C.109(h), search online at http://www.justice.gov/ust/eo/bapcpa/ccde/cc_approved.htm.
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC): For information on how to choose a credit counselor, the FTC has information regarding what constitutes reputable credit counseling organizations, questions to ask, tip-offs to rip-offs, and other valuable information on its website at http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre26.shtm. The FTC has also created a Money Matters website to help consumers tackle money issues and includes tips and resources on money matter including scam watch, credit cards, managing your money, dealing with debt, your home, and jobs. You can access the Money Matters website http://www.ftc.gov/MoneyMatters.
Small Business Resources
- Tifton - Tifton County Chamber of Commerce
- Moultrie - Colquitt County Chamber of Commerce
- Cordele - Crisp County Chamber of Commerce
- Ashburn - Turner County Chamber of Commerce
- Small Business Administration
- Entrepreneur and Small Business Development Loan Guarantee Program
- Georgia Department of Economic Development
- Georgia's Business Resource website
- University of Georgia's Small Business Development Center (SBDC)
- Employment Services (GA Department of Labor)
- Georgia Department of Revenue
- U.S. Internal Revenue Service
- First Stop Business Information Center
- Georgia Department Of Community Affairs (DCA)
- Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College Continuing Education
- Moultrie Technical College Continuing Education
- Tift County Chamber of Commerce
- Colquitt County Chamber of Commerce
- American Bankers Association
- Georgia Museum of Agriculture & Historic Village
- Sunbelt Expo - North America’s Premier Farm Show
- City of Tifton - Online portal for permits, information
- City of Ashburn
- Turner County Schools
- Ashburn – Turner County Chamber of Commerce
- Cordele – Crisp Chamber of Commerce
- City of Cordele
- Crisp County Government